What did I do that was so amazing, you ask? Well... drum roll... I fixed a sewing machine!!! OK, you can stop laughing now, but this happens to be the first time I have ever accomplished this feat.
I had recently finished making a skirt and all had gone well. Even a dreaded buttonhole or two had gone without a hitch. However, today was different. I started the machine only to be greeted by a horrible clattering noise! The thread was firmly jammed under the feeder plate.
I snipped away at the tangle until I managed to pull it free and remove the small cut threads. I started again, very gently, only to be greeted by another loud clunking sound and another jam... This time I could not remove the trapped fabric without cutting it away. Thank goodness I was working with an oddment and not the final fabric!
Apparently I was supposed to clean this on a regular basis! Well, dust bunnies and I are old friends and the idea of stripping down a sewing machine to remove fluff build‐up had never occurred to me before.
Did you know you were supposed to do this? It was certainly news to me but then I suppose I can’t actually remember ever reading the instructions so it’s not surprising I hadn’t stumbled upon this piece of information before...
However, 15 minutes later the spool holder was removed to reveal a good‐sized pile of fluff inside. That was quickly removed so all I had to do now was reassemble it all...
I took a deep breath and before much longer all parts were back in again. Phew!
Mission accomplished! Let the sewing commence!
Oh and if you’re wondering, this will be the lining for my new bag, the Westernesse Bag coming soon. More about that next time!
Until next time – Happy Knitting!
sewing machine maintenance, bag lining, fabric linings,